Wednesday, July 21, 2004

Black umbrellas

According to pseudo feng shui master Mr Melvin Sim, his daughter is not allowed to carry or own a black umbrella as it signifies bad luck.
 
"I'm getting a black umbrella, the ugly umbrellas at home clashes with every outfit of mine."
"You cannot carry or buy black umbrellas. It's bad luck."
"What kind of bad luck?"
"It's no good."
"Why? Surely there's a reason?"
"It's just no good."
"BUT WHY?"
"Even your grandma doesn't carry black umbrellas."
"Since when has the color of umbrella Ah-ma carries got to do with me getting a black one?"
"I'm telling you it's no good, its bad luck, its suay, so DO NOT bring one into the house."
 
And hence, i'm not allowed to bring any black umbrellas home as long as i'm staying under his roof. But what totally pissed me off is his lack of reason in his superstitious belief and his denial that the logic is silly.
 
I've always respected chinese history and its myriad form of superstitions. I avoid stepping on scattered ashes on the grounds because i believe they are offerings made from the deceased's family. So as a form of respect to the dead, i skip over the ashes. And i always try to remember saying "excuse me" when stepping into quiet places (entering hotel rooms) just in case there's a lingering spirit resting in there. But to tell me that i'm not allowed to carry black umbrellas just because its "suay", that i cannot comprehend.
 
Is it cos people at funerals carry black umbrellas to send the deceased off during rainy days? or does it mean lonely spirits like to seek "shelter" under black umbrellas? does that also mean we cannot wear black as it too signifies death and its solemn environment? *btw, my dad does not own a single piece of black clothing, accessory nor shoe.*
 
Beliefs supported by logical explainations is ok. but blind beliefs just doesn't sit well with me. and i will argue till the cows come home for that (with the exception of this morning cos i refuse to start my Wed morn being foul).
 
And so, Ms Sim shalt not carry a black umbrella into her Sim family home at Serangoon, Singapore.
 
 

bee wrote this at 9:04 AM

0peekaboos

0peekaboos

Post a Comment