Thursday, July 08, 2004

The First Resignation

4 March 2002 on a melancholic Monday.

How strange. The man who had impressed me with his passion for advertising, then disappointed me with his materialistic motives, and now, once again, surprised me with his softer side. This man in subject is called Patrick. Patrick Lim.

My first interviewer, employer and now, a respected acquaintance. A short man he is. Little thatch of hair grazing the top of his head. Trendy or should I say funky blue rimmed glasses. Expensive shirt. Zegna tie (always). Jaeger on the richer days. No- name sports watch on the poorer days. And the pair of immaculately polished black shoes.
He is what I would call an “ad man”.

Funny how life turned out. Funny how people have so many different facets to them. I never thought much of him during my life at the agency. His money-oriented goals took the meaning of creativity and passion out of advertising. Then again, he is a self- made man. Growing up poor made him realize how harsh life is. How harsh people and friends are when you really need them.

Sweet of him to buy me a latte this afternoon. The conversation was mellow yet sweet. Felt a tinge of pity and sadness for a man who built up his own agency at the tender age of 23 to see it falling slightly apart now. Or maybe not. Not too sure how bad things are beneath that entire surface.

I have always reserved respect for the self made man and woman. Strong and intelligent. Courageous and street smart. Every lesson learnt is not forgotten. They learn it through the hard way that is why. No daddy to bail you out when your business fails. No godmother to slip the extras under the table. No buddy to tell you what or what not to do.
You live. And you learn.

Thank you for having that faith in me. For seeing me as a strong enough person who would succeed when left to step out on her own. Every young man or woman deserves to hear that. Because beneath all that determination and strength is just me. From the bottom of my heart, I thank you Mr. Lim.

Background music: All the good life by Tony Bennett

bee wrote this at 12:05 AM

0peekaboos

0peekaboos

Post a Comment