Sunday, September 11, 2005

the one with a grim fairy tale

In the beginning, there was a fairy tale.

As an only child, I lived by my own stories. I laugh, I cry, I mimic. Colouring books and cut out dolls were my perfect companions. For the pre school years, I was terrified of the bogeyman under my bed, clowns at parties and people standing too close for comfort. When I was twelve, I was enthralled by Sidney Sheldon’s politics and mysteries, wondering if I would ever be like the heroine, leading the country, saving the world and escaping punishments from perverted establishments. I wanted to be a phenomenal being. I was such a dreamer because I’ve no idea what life has in store for me.

Many of these childish myths dissolved as I have come to witness lately:
- presidential walkovers three years in a row for the lack of potential candidates
- Singapore’s education system actually admired by the west
- The so called freedom of speech that is subject to approval, an oxymoron indeed
- not for profit charities and religious leaders under fire for money laundering
- government officials lax on preventive epidemic measures despite global warnings
- a good life’s defined by material gains and no longer intrinsic goals.
- tom, dick and harry plays golf
- unattended bags would either blow up in your face or exacerbate a heart attack when you discover grisly body parts
- frustrating situations where flood devastation victims are shouting for help and international aid’s delayed (denied) by the country’s leaders.

Such mind boggling truths.

But I’ll to still think of myself as a phenomenal being, alongside a million others as they wake up each day with mental checklists and go to bed with thoughts of more checklists and wondering where the day’s gone.

A grim fairy tale life turned out to be.

bee wrote this at 11:41 PM

1peekaboos

1peekaboos

At 10:45 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

*in a heavy indian accent*

But there's always Prata!

PRATA! HOW I LOVE THEE!
LET ME COUNT THE WAYS!

ONE KOR-SONG, TWO KOR-SONG,
THREE KOR-SONG...

SO MANY KOR-SONGs...

Life is so full of Kor-songs, Ah-Ber.

But we each fulfill a bit of our dreams every single day.

CHEER UP!

 

Post a Comment